5 Different Types of Medical Billing and Coding Specialists
There are different types of medical billing and coding specialists, each with their own focus and responsibilities. Some of the most common types include:
1. Certified Professional Coders (CPCs)
These specialists focus on assigning codes to medical diagnoses and procedures for reimbursement purposes.
2. Certified Coding Specialists (CCSs)
These specialists focus on coding and classifying medical data for reimbursement, research, and quality improvement purposes.
3. Certified Medical Reimbursement Specialists (CMRSs)
These specialists focus on the financial aspects of medical billing, including submitting claims and managing the revenue cycle.
4. Certified Professional Billers (CPBs)
These specialists focus on the billing side of medical billing and coding, including preparing and submitting claims and managing accounts receivable.
5. Medical Records and Health Information Technicians
These specialists focus on managing and organizing patient health information and medical records, including coding and classification.